Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Hibiscus Caribbean Bar and Grill: Lots of Jerk Goodness ;-)

                                                                   Hibiscus Caribbean Bar and Grill, located in the heart of Brookside, is what I would imagine authentic Caribbean cuisine to be. I've never been to the Caribbean, but the food takes me there!




     I had a little guest with me and we were seated immediately.  I didn't like where they had us seated, but the window seats were all four tops, which they reserve for parties of four.  And the interior is super, DUPER tiny. They need to get a bigger place, especially since the food is amazing.



     I started with the Fried Plantains and Jamaican Patties.  The Fried Plantains were a little bit too overcooked.  According to our server, the chef's response was it was the plantain, and some are more ripe than others. When I pointed out that the people next to me had perfectly well cooked plantains, it was the excuse I kept getting. It was obvious to even the most elementary mind that it was in the cooking, not the ripeness.  I just REALLY dislike it when there is no accountability, standard or consistency for the food being sent out. That left a bad taste in my mouth, literally. But that bad taste went away...fast.

     Okay, that was the only negative thing about that place because everything else was phenomenal.  The Jamaican Patties were awesome. We tried the beef and chicken. It was almost hummus like consistency but oh so savory and tasty. The crust was perfect in texture, flakey-ness and taste as it absorbed the meat flavors.

 Fried Plantains- $5.99


Jamaican Patty-$3.99

     Next, we finished with the Red Snapper.  You could literally hear the "oohs and aaahhs" from diners as the platter was being brought to our table. It's beautiful and aromatic.  I've never had red snapper like this.  It's scored, seasoned, deep fried and sauteed in an orange juice and sweet vinegar relish.  You can taste the fried savoriness and the citrus notes of the orange juice and vinegar relish. A perfect balance of goodness that makes you want more.


 Red Snapper-$19.99

     I only know of one other Caribbean food restaurant in Tulsa and it's fairly new. I'm excited to try it out and compare the two.  I have a feeling it's going to be hard to beat Hibiscus. The interior is decorated faithful to the Caribbean culture and yes, Bob Marley art and poetry through out.  Everyone was enjoying the food, the atmosphere and company.  It's a great place to take a date, family and/or friends.

Happy place, happy face :-D

     "Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen.  I like to see mankind live together- black, white, Chinese, everyone - that's all."- Bob Marley  

     Next time you're in the mood for something Caribbean, yet made locally and fresh with a little spice, take your taste buds to Hibiscus!   

Hibiscus Caribbean Bar and Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment