Translate

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bamboo Thai Bistro...don't judge the place by it's cover!

It's located on the North East corner of 51st & Yale Ave in Tulsa, Ok.  If you're familiar with this area, you know that it's primarily retail, fast food and known for a less "fancy" genre of restaurants and shops. To say I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in, was to say the least. The decor is fitting to the Thai food. More of a upscale casual, which is contemporary to restaurants these days. It's definitely a good place to take families, dates, etc. because it isn't too loud and you can actually hear your conversations.



Immediately, I'm greeted by friendly wait staff who are not only friendly, they're efficient. 

I opted to start off with the Thai Iced Tea and they brought me the complimentary Shrimp Chips...unique and yummy!

Next, I ordered the Spicy Squid as a starter. It's crispy squid stir fried with onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, bell pepper and five spices...very good.

Next, I was in the mood for something with a creamy, coconut flair. So, at the waitresses suggestion, I went for the Gai Tom Ka...it's described as a traditional coconut soup with chicken, onion, and straw mushroom. Topped with cilantro and green onion. It was creamy without being too heavy...the cilantro gave it a hint of lightness. It was delectable, velvetty, goodness.


You can't go to a Thai restaurant and NOT order some Pad Thai, so, I ordered the Pad Thai noodles with pork. It's made with bean sprouts, green onion, ground peanuts and egg. Topped with fresh bean sprouts and fresh lemon on the side. I ordered mine "hot" so the lemon came in handy to help cut through the spice. It was everything I thought it would be...no disappointment here...in fact, I was impressed above my expectations.


Okay, so finally, I asked my waitress what her favorite entree was...she said, with a smile, "definitely, the crispy duck." As soon as my entree arrived I knew why she smiled when she answered me and I'm pretty sure my smile mirrored hers when I took my first bite. It was crispy on the outside, juicy and packed with flavor on the inside. The sauce really brought out the flavors even more.

I wish I had room for desert because they had coconut ice cream or fried banana roll on their menu. But, I had to have my meal boxed up to go as it was and ended up making four meals out of what I ordered this night. Next time you're in the mood for some really great, authentic Thai, visit Bamboo Thai Bistro, you'll be glad you did...Thai(nk) you!
Bamboo Thai Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Archive